Document Verification Process is The First Line of Defense Against Identity Theft
Let me tell you a jaw-dropping fact. Nearly 49 billion customers fell victim to identity theft cases and cost Americans almost $56 billion last year. But that’s not all. There were 1.4 million ID theft cases encountered during the pandemic year 2020. 56,451 identity theft cases were reported by military consumers by the year 2020.
Data production rate is increasing by leaps and bounds around the globe in parallel to the rate of population growth. Talking of immense growth, technological advancements, and progressions paving the way towards an unpredictable era of social upheaval and cutting-edge technology. There would be no ambiguity in saying that the complete world is accommodated with innovative machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms, and hackers are attaining benefits from these revolutionary technologies.
Considering the rate at which technology is progressing and cybercriminals are acquiring more sophisticated measures, it’s high time for enterprises to attain appropriate measures for the enhancement of their cybersecurity protocols and incorporate real-time, robust, and reliable identity verification solutions and relevant services, most importantly document verification services and solutions.
Talking of document verification solutions, let us have a deep dive into some facts and figures on how to document verification plays a promising role in the detection as well as prevention of counterfeits, chargebacks, identity theft, and relevant criminal activities.
Different Types of Document Fraud
Carrying out fraudulent activities via document is not a big deal in this modern age of technological innovations and advancements. Let’s discuss different types of document frauds that we encounter now on a regular basis.
- Falsely representative documents: These can be either original or illegitimate. These types of documents do not belong to the original person.
- Illegitimate documents: These types of documents are completely false and illegal documents that are created to carry out illegal activity. All the user information present on such documents is false. Illegal documents can be categorized into 3 major categories: camouflage or fantasy documents, sample or compromised documents, and counterfeit documents.
- Modified documents: these are the altered or modified documents in which user details are changed for an illicit money transfer and fraudulent activities. Modified documents can be categorized into two major categories: blank stolen documents and forged documents.
Each of the above-mentioned fraudulent documents can be utilized to carry out different sorts of illegal activity, but it is true that these documents are not beneficial for organizations at all, as all the information present on these kinds of documents is false.
How Document Verification Detects Fraud?
Different types of approaches are required for the detection of different types of illicit documents that might be circulating within the premises of the enterprise. The best possible way that can be acquired for the detection and identification of modified documents is to properly check data consistency. This includes checking the registration number, date of birth, gender, expiry date, and other encoded data that is present on the official document.
Illegitimate documents can be detected via visual document authenticity analytics. Organizations can distinguish effectively if the things match properly as they should by making a comparison between templates and documents. Things are a little bit different when it boils down to dealing with falsely represented documents. This type of fraud can only be deterred with the implication of proof of verification. This depicts that identity document verification provides a wide range of benefits to organizations of all sizes, from small scale to large scale, from private sectors to government sectors.
How to Enhance Document Authentication Using ML and AI?
AI-enabled document verification solutions test numerous elements of identity documents during the process of customer authentication and validation. Some of the mandatory checks that are crucial to adopt during the process of document authentication are as follow:
- Authentication of MRZ code
- AI and ML checks that the submitted document is valid
- Detection of folded and crumpled edges
- Detection of photoshops, forgery, and tempering
- Confirmation of holograms and rainbow prints
- Imposing checks for microprints
- Verification of ink and special papers
Benefits of using AI for Identity Document Verification
Document verification proves to be beneficial for enterprises and financial infrastructures of all sizes in numerous aspects. Document verification solutions provide a wide range of advantages with the involvement of innovative and revolutionary machine learning and artificial intelligence. Some of the most promising advantages of id document authentication are as follow:
Identity document verification enhances the customer experience by providing high speed and convenience.
- Online identity verification helps to reduce risk and onboard real customers with a high rate of effectiveness, accuracy, and efficiency.
- The incorporation of document verification solutions helps to maintain and improve the reputation of the organization and helps to develop a transparent relationship between business and potential customers.
- Online document verification solutions play a promising role to detect and distinguish money laundering activities, terrorist financing, and other relevant fraudulent activities.
- Online document verification solutions help to combat hefty charges that industries might face due to unauthorized access. Online document verification assists in deterring an immense amount of money losses.
Document verification checks and solutions must be mandatorily incorporated in enterprises of all sizes, from government sectors to private sectors, to small scale businesses to large scale businesses. The document verification process involves the validation of information present on the document and matching that information with the official government published documents such as government-issued identity card, passport, and driving license. For the enhancement of the document verification process, OCR technology is also incorporated in a vast range of enterprises for the validation of both structured as well as non-structured documents.
Hence, online document verification is capable of validating more than 3000 identity types and in more than 150 languages including complex characters anytime and anywhere with a tremendous rate of accuracy, efficiency, and effectiveness. The document verification process involves only three major steps: information capture, information extraction, and information screening for the prevention of fraud.