Guide to Buying New Car Tyres
Before purchasing car tyres, there are numerous factors that you would have to consider. You would need to keep in mind your style of driving, the region where you stay, recommendation by the car manufacturer, and your budget.
Which Tyres Are You Permitted to Drive?
The aspect ratio of the tyre, i.e. the ratio of the height is to weight should be as mentioned by the car’s manufacturer. The width of the rim and tyre should be adhered to as per the handbook as well. The tyre should be able to complement the distance traversed throughout the year. The current weather is your place of residence also has a major role to play in your tyre selection:
- Two tyre sets (winter and summer tyres) could be worth the investment if you drive your car a lot and frequently counter roads with snow, ice or slush. If you have two types of car tyres, you could be assured that you are always equipped for any condition. Each of the tyres would wear out less as well.
- On the contrary, if you traverse shorter travel distances in moderate weather conditions all through the year, all-season car tyres could be a great choice. You manage to save the price of switching tyres two times a year.
The handling and performance of your car are dependent on your tyres as they are the primary touchpoint with the road’s surface.
You could prepare a list of things to check before purchasing a new set of tyres:
- Inspect the documentation of your vehicle to ensure compatibility between the car and the tyre.
- The size of the tyre size is measured by the diameter, width, aspect ratio, and diameter
- The tyre’s speed rating indicates the highest speed that the car tyre could handle.
- Similar make and model of Bridgestone tyres online Newport should be installed all through the car.
Prerequisites for new car tyres
The most important requirement is of selecting car tyres that are complementing your car. Your documentation and manual would have suggestions for these types of tyres. This information could also be found in the sidewall of the tyre. The consistency should be maintained on all four positions of wheels to attain good control and performance in your car.
What information is available on the tyre’s sidewall?
- The width of the tyre is a number with 3 digits and measured in mm from one end to the other end.
- The aspect ratio is a percentage of 2 or 3 digits.
- The tyre’s diameter is measured in inches and must be the same as the size of the wheel on your car.
- The construction could also be different and is often indicated by a letter, for instance, ‘R’ is for radial tyres. These tyres have cords running perpendicular to the travel direction. Tyres in the early 1970s had a rubberised casing of cord plies with the bead wires wrapping the edges. They were known as a cross-ply car tyre.
- The load index helps in finding out the load, which is multiplied by the count of tyres to calculate the overall weight that can be supported.
- The tyre’s speed rating is indicated by a letter and denotes the highest speed a tyre can tolerate.
- The pressure levels of the tyre are also mentioned which helps the tyres operate smoothly enhancing the handling and decreasing the wearing of the tyre.
- The other information that could be mentioned on the sidewall includes the safety codes, size, and other association symbols.
Which is the perfect type of tyre for your car?
The conditions for driving your car differ all through the year. The regional climate must be considered when you are planning to buy a new set of car tyres. Switching between winter tyres and summer tyres or winter tyre and all-season car tyre is the best option.
You could easily drive your car with an all-season tyre fitted on them. They provide decent traction and acceptable life for the tread. However, they would not perform as well as their seasonal counterparts in extreme weather conditions.
Winter car tyre has patterns of the tread that are engineered to be the most effective on slush and snow along with being able to bear temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius. They provide increased handling with a distance of braking that is shorter on ice and snow.
Summer car tyre offers great grip, a smaller distance of braking, and decent handling on dry surfaces in temperatures above 7 degrees Celsius. However, summer car cheap tyres Newportoffer excellent grip on the road that is wet also.